The Travel Word is a website that showcases responsible, sustainable and local travel. We are committed to inspiring mindful and independent travellers to head off the beaten path through local businesses that make responsible and sustainable decisions about their destinations. The Travel Word draws on a vast pool of ideas generated by local tour operators, partners, suppliers and more.
For content contributors, our writing guidelines are the following:
1. Given that we work with a wide range of local partners and with a specific content focus, we ask that your contribution focus on responsible, sustainable and local travel. That shouldn’t be considered a limiting factor, but it does call for a slightly tighter focus on specific qualities of a selected destination than more general survey pieces (which we won’t run).
2. Any known/desired links should be included, but NOT embedded, in the text. Just include the full link in parentheses after the item to link to and use bold font for the item/words that will carry the link.
3. Our articles run 700-900 words, with a rough minimum of about 550 words.
4. The majority of our articles is in UK English, which we prefer but don’t require. Whatever you choose, please set your spellcheck accordingly.
5. We prefer at least two pictures, although three (or more) is better. At least one of them must be in landscape format and all must, in original size, be a minimum of 450 pixels on the longest side (with a preference for 600 pixels). Each image should be accompanied by a short descriptive caption and confirmed photo credit. If you don’t have your own photo material, find out how to source images from the Creative Commons to use on The Travel Word.
6. We include a small about-the-author box with the text, for which we need the following:
(a) a short bio text of about 150 words;
(b) a small square portrait, minimum 250 x 250 pixels;
(c) one personal link, should you have an online resource to link to